[ Search ] [ PDF text ] [ Legislation ]
[ Home ] [ Back ] [ Bottom ]
92_SJ0030 LRB9208745TAtm 1 SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION 2 WHEREAS, Teenagers with their ready access to the motor 3 vehicle have become increasingly mobile, adding a fluid 4 dynamic to the manner in which teenagers consume alcohol and 5 illicit drugs; and 6 WHEREAS, Alcohol and drug abuse by teenagers has not 7 significantly declined in the past several years and remains 8 unacceptably high and possibly, for certain groups, 9 increasing in incidence and shifting to riskier settings; and 10 WHEREAS, 1,695 fifteen to nineteen year olds were killed 11 in alcohol-related traffic fatalities in 1998 across America; 12 and 13 WHEREAS, The Aluminum Anonymous Project surveyed 1,175 14 miles of Illinois roadsides, from around the Chicago suburbs, 15 from Freeport to Dixon to Moline to Pontiac to Watseka, from 16 Mattoon to Springfield to East Hannibal, from Effingham to 17 East St. Louis, and from Olney to Mt. Vernon to Carbondale, 18 in April and May of 1998, November of 1999, and April and May 19 of 2000, for the discard rate of alcohol beverage containers; 20 the Project found an average of 875 beer cans and beer 21 bottles per mile of road annually; the Project followed up 22 with "Who's Doing the Tossing?" interviews of professionals 23 working with teens and adults in alcohol and drug settings, 24 who collectively estimated that 50 per cent of the discarded 25 alcohol containers were coming from teenagers; and 26 WHEREAS, In spite of the January, 2001 national survey of 27 teenagers by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and 28 Alcoholism (NIAAA) that includes questions on drinking and 29 drug use while driving and riding, perhaps for the first time 30 at the federal level, too little is known about teenage 31 alcohol and drug behavior after the car door closes; and -2- LRB9208745TAtm 1 WHEREAS, The January, 2001 "Report of the U.S. Surgeon 2 General on Youth Violence" notes that although youth violence 3 may have peaked, it will remain a major problem; and 4 WHEREAS, The January, 2001 report of the National Center 5 on Substance Abuse and Addiction (CASA), from New York, New 6 York, entitled "Shoveling Up: Impact of Substance Abuse on 7 State Budgets", states that only 3% of the $2,869,000 that 8 Illinois spends annually on substance abuse problems goes for 9 prevention and treatment, while the remaining 97% goes for 10 cleaning up the wreckage caused by substance abuse and 11 addiction; therefore be it 12 RESOLVED, BY THE SENATE OF THE NINETY-SECOND GENERAL 13 ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS, THE HOUSE CONCURRING 14 HEREIN, that the Department of Human Services, in cooperation 15 with the Department of Public Health, the Department of 16 Transportation, and the Secretary of State, study the problem 17 of teenage in-vehicle drinking and related drug use by: 18 (1) assembling what is known and not known about 19 this behavior: its dynamic, prevalence, and incidence; 20 and 21 (2) assessing the effectiveness of policies and 22 programs, including their development, implementation, 23 and evaluation, and gauging the adequacy of interagency 24 cooperation, including data sharing and program support; 25 and be it further 26 RESOLVED, That the Department of Human Services report to 27 the General Assembly with a recommended plan of action 28 regarding policy and programs that would more comprehensively 29 incorporate teenage in-vehicle drinking and related drug use 30 into the scope of the State's substance abuse and youth 31 violence prevention strategies; the report to include, if 32 appropriate, the identification of new programs along with 33 their estimated costs; and be it further -3- LRB9208745TAtm 1 RESOLVED, that suitable copies of this resolution be 2 delivered to the Secretary of Human Services, the Director of 3 Public Health, the Secretary of Transportation, and the 4 Secretary of State.
[ Top ]