Illinois Compiled Statutes
Information maintained by the Legislative
Updating the database of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is an ongoing process.
Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but they are found on this site as Public
soon after they become law. For information concerning the relationship between statutes and Public Acts, refer to the
Because the statute database is maintained primarily for legislative drafting purposes,
statutory changes are sometimes included in the statute database before they take effect.
If the source note at the end of a Section of the statutes includes a Public Act that has
not yet taken effect, the version of the law that is currently in effect may have already
been removed from the database and you should refer to that Public Act to see the changes
made to the current law.
740 ILCS 190/5
(740 ILCS 190/5)
As used in this Act:
(1) "Child" means an unemancipated individual who is less than 18 years of age.
(2) "Consent" means affirmative, conscious, and voluntary authorization by an individual with legal capacity to give authorization.
(3) "Depicted individual" means an individual whose body is shown, in whole or in part, in a private sexual image.
(4) "Dissemination" or "disseminate" means publication or distribution to another person with intent to disclose.
(5) "Harm" means physical harm, economic harm, or emotional distress whether or not accompanied by physical or economic harm.
(6) "Identifiable" means recognizable by a person other than the depicted individual:
(A) from a private sexual image itself; or
(B) from a private sexual image and identifying
characteristic displayed in connection with the image.
(7) "Identifying characteristic" means information that may be used to identify a depicted individual.
(8) "Individual" means a human being.
(9) "Parent" means an individual recognized as a parent under laws of this State.
(10) "Private" means:
(A) created or obtained under circumstances in which
a depicted individual had a reasonable expectation of privacy; or
(B) made accessible through theft, bribery,
extortion, fraud, voyeurism, or exceeding authorized access to an account, message, file, device, resource, or property.
(11) "Person" means an individual, business or nonprofit entity, public corporation, government or governmental subdivision, agency, or other legal entity.
(12) "Sexual conduct" includes:
(B) genital sex, anal sex, oral sex, or sexual
(C) sexual penetration of or with an object.
(13) "Sexual activity" means any:
(A) knowing touching or fondling by the depicted
individual or another person, either directly or through clothing, of the sex organs, anus, or breast of the depicted individual or another person for the purpose of sexual gratification or arousal;
(B) transfer or transmission of semen upon any part
of the clothed or unclothed body of the depicted individual, for the purpose of sexual gratification or arousal of the depicted individual or another person;
(C) act of urination within a sexual context;
(D) bondage, fetish, sadism, or masochism;
(E) sadomasochistic abuse in any sexual context; or
(F) animal-related sexual activity.
(14) "Sexual image" means a photograph, film, videotape, digital recording, or other similar medium that shows:
(A) the fully unclothed, partially unclothed, or
transparently clothed genitals, pubic area, anus, or female post-pubescent nipple, partially or fully exposed, of a depicted individual; or
(B) a depicted individual engaging in or being
subjected to sexual conduct or activity.
(Source: P.A. 101-556, eff. 1-1-20