Updating the database of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is an ongoing process.
Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but they are found on this site as Public
soon after they become law. For information concerning the relationship between statutes and Public Acts, refer to the
Because the statute database is maintained primarily for legislative drafting purposes,
statutory changes are sometimes included in the statute database before they take effect.
If the source note at the end of a Section of the statutes includes a Public Act that has
not yet taken effect, the version of the law that is currently in effect may have already
been removed from the database and you should refer to that Public Act to see the changes
made to the current law.
(725 ILCS 167/20)
(a) If a law enforcement agency uses a drone under Section 15 of this Act, the agency shall destroy all information gathered by the drone within the following timeframes:
(1) All information gathered pursuant to paragraph
(1), (2), (3), (4), (5), (6), or (9) of Section 15 shall be destroyed within 30 days after being gathered.
(2) All information gathered pursuant to paragraph
(10) of Section 15 shall be destroyed within 24 hours after being gathered.
(3) All information gathered pursuant to paragraph
(7) of Section 15 shall be turned over to the requesting local government agency as soon as practicable, and all gathered information shall be destroyed immediately after the information has been turned over.
(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), a supervisor at a law enforcement agency may retain particular information if:
(1) there is reasonable suspicion that the
information contains evidence of criminal activity;
(2) the information is relevant to an ongoing
investigation or pending criminal trial;
(3) a supervisor at the agency deems that the
information will be used exclusively for training purposes, provided that any such information shall not contain any personally identifiable information; or
(4) the information consists of only flight path
data, metadata, or telemetry information of the drone.
(Source: P.A. 103-101, eff. 6-16-23.)