Updating the database of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is an ongoing process.
Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but they are found on this site as Public
soon after they become law. For information concerning the relationship between statutes and Public Acts, refer to the
Because the statute database is maintained primarily for legislative drafting purposes,
statutory changes are sometimes included in the statute database before they take effect.
If the source note at the end of a Section of the statutes includes a Public Act that has
not yet taken effect, the version of the law that is currently in effect may have already
been removed from the database and you should refer to that Public Act to see the changes
made to the current law.
(225 ILCS 425/2.03)
(from Ch. 111, par. 2005)
(Section scheduled to be repealed on January 1, 2026)
This Act does not
apply to persons whose collection activities are
confined to and are directly related to the operation of a business other
than that of a collection agency, and specifically does not include the
1. Banks, including trust departments, affiliates,
and subsidiaries thereof, fiduciaries, and financing and lending institutions (except those who own or operate collection agencies);
2. Abstract companies doing an escrow business;
3. Real estate brokers when acting in the pursuit of
4. Public officers and judicial officers acting under
5. Licensed attorneys at law;
6. Insurance companies;
7. Credit unions, including affiliates and
subsidiaries thereof (except those who own or operate collection agencies);
8. Loan and finance companies, including entities
licensed pursuant to the Residential Mortgage License Act of 1987;
9. Retail stores collecting their own accounts;
10. Unit Owner's Associations established under the
Condominium Property Act, and their duly authorized agents, when collecting assessments from unit owners; and
11. Any person or business under contract with a
creditor to notify the creditor's debtors of a debt using only the creditor's name.
(Source: P.A. 99-227, eff. 8-3-15.)