Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of HB1696
Illinois General Assembly

Previous General Assemblies

Full Text of HB1696  100th General Assembly



State of Illinois
2017 and 2018


Introduced , by Rep. Michael J. Madigan


735 ILCS 5/9-201  from Ch. 110, par. 9-201

    Amends the Code of Civil Procedure. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning recovery of rent.

LRB100 03377 HEP 13382 b





HB1696LRB100 03377 HEP 13382 b

1    AN ACT concerning civil law.
2    Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,
3represented in the General Assembly:
4    Section 5. The Code of Civil Procedure is amended by
5changing Section 9-201 as follows:
6    (735 ILCS 5/9-201)  (from Ch. 110, par. 9-201)
7    Sec. 9-201. Recovery of rent. The The owner of lands, his
8or her executors or administrators, may sue for and recover
9rent therefor, or a fair and reasonable satisfaction for the
10use and occupation thereof, by a civil action in any of the
11following instances:
12    1. When rent is due and in arrears on a lease for life or
14    2. When lands are held and occupied by any person without
15any special agreement for rent.
16    3. When possession is obtained under an agreement, written
17or verbal, for the purchase of the premises, and before a deed
18is given the right to possession is terminated by forfeiture or
19non-compliance with the agreement, and possession is
20wrongfully refused or neglected to be given upon demand, made
21in writing, by the party entitled thereto. All payments made by
22the vendee, or his or her representatives or assigns, may be
23set off against such rent.



HB1696- 2 -LRB100 03377 HEP 13382 b

1    4. When land has been sold upon a judgment of court, when
2the party to such judgment or person holding under him or her,
3wrongfully refuses or neglects to surrender possession of the
4same, after demand, in writing, by the person entitled to the
6    5. When the lands have been sold upon a mortgage or trust
7deed, and the mortgagor or grantor, or person holding under him
8or her, wrongfully refuses or neglects to surrender possession
9of the same, after demand, in writing, by the person entitled
10to the possession.
11(Source: P.A. 83-707.)